« Home | After » | Before » | © » | Music Review: Less Than Jake - GNV FLA » | Quick Review - Penny Arcade Game » | Woah Summer » | Government Money » | ! » | How I Got GTAIV For Free » | AP Tests and TV's »

After the Microsoft E3 2008 Press Conference

So I watched a live stream of Microsoft's press conference today. Overall, I was disappointed because I didn't get to see anything new.

First off, I'm not too fond of the redesigned dashboard. I liked the old one; sure it could have used a bit of sprucing up, but this new one seems too simple. Too casual, if you know what I mean, like something the Wii would do. The Wii is my fun, casual console, the Xbox 360 is my hardcore console. Don't mix them. The avatars are basically a Mii ripoff, but I do like that they take it to a whole new level than Nintendo did. A lot of stuff that was revealed today shows that Microsoft is really trying to target a more casual market, like Nintendo. The Primetime thing doesn't really excite me too much, neither does the party system.

All the games that were announced were either sequels, or just rehashes of other games. Gears of War 2, another Final Fantasy, Fable 2, another Banjo-Kazooie, the list goes on. As far as rehashes, Lips is just Sony's Singstar, Scene-it is just Buzz for the PS2, and You're In The Movies is just the Eye-toy. The problem I'm having is that Microsoft isn't innovating, just rehashing. Come on, I want to see some new stuff.

Things that did excite me are the Portal sequel for the Xbox Live Marketplace and the DLC for GTAIV. Other than that, Microsoft's presentation was underwhelming. Tomorrow is Nintendo's conference, so I will definately be watching that. Hoping for some really cool news, like a new Animal Crossing or Zelda, and some other surprises.

Post a Comment